one of my best friends got engaged a few hours ago.
pause. rewind.
when we were eight years old, Katherine invited me to her birthday party. It was a detective themed party, and we all wore trench coats and wayfarers. There was also this really incredible string game... this is the first memory I have of her, even though we knew each other before then.
when I turned ten, Katherine wrote me this really incredible poem about being friends and growing up and loving each other and the Lord and always being there for each other. I still have it.
when we were thirteen, we went on our first choir tour together. if you grew up shady, you'll truly understand the impact of that important event.
when we were sixteen, Katherine had jaw surgery and had her mouth wired shut for weeks. I brought her frapaccinos and we would sit and watch the food network for hours.
when we were eighteen, we spent a whole summer doing beach trips and choir tour and camp and taking lots of pictures and packing for college and crying but smiling at the same time because our lives would never be the same.
when we went away to our separate schools we kept in touch via texts, phone calls, THE THREAD... I visited her at Union. She still has to come to Auburn for a visit.
And now Katherine's engaged. This is probably one of the most exciting nights I've had in weeks. I've been jumping around my apartment and squealing and calling my parents and calling our friends and speculating about weddings and showers and engagements all night. I even went for a drive to release some energy, only to realize that I didn't have my license and had left my apartment unlocked. It's that exciting.
We're growing up. It's a little sad, but I love it.
I LOVE TRADITION!!! THERE'S GONNA BE A WEDDING!!!
ReplyDelete