28 December 2010

Christmas: Musselwhite style

because every family (I'm sure) has their wild and fun traditions, I thought I would share a couple of ours:

Christmas eve eve cookie baking: snickerdoodles + double-chocolate sugar cookies (my personal favorite). Maybe one year I'll relinquish the recipe for these heavenly treats, but, honestly speaking, I'm just not ready for that yet.

hiding + finding the Christmas pickle ornament - it's supposedly an old German tradition, and the winner of the competition gets a little extra cash. I've been the Christmas pickle champion for the past two years in a row, but, unfortunately, my brother found it this year. In 363 days... it's on. again.

on Christmas eve, we get together for dinner with my mom's side of the family, then we go home, watch White Christmas, and hang our stockings on our bedroom doors for Santa (I think we hang them on our doors and not our fireplace because when we first moved to Bham, we lived in an apartment for a year and didn't have a fireplace to hang them on. Once we moved into an actual house, we kept the tradition). On Christmas day, we make Belgian waffles for breakfast and open presents, go to a movie together, and eat Christmas dinner together.

we're definitely a tradition-driven family, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

p.s. yes, I got a steamer for Christmas, and yes, I'm pretty freaking excited about it. I'M AN ADULT.

No comments:

Post a Comment